Built in 1874 from California redwood trees, Point Fermin Lighthouse was the first lighthouse constructed on San Pedro Bay. This Stick Style Victorian Lighthouse was designed by Paul J. Pelz who created six in the same style. Point Fermin constantly guided ships until Pearl Harbor in 1941 where its light was forever dimmed. It served as a Navy lookout tower during World War II before being restored for its Centennial in 1974. Placed on the National Register of Historic Places, it opened to the public in 2003.