Warner's Ranch, high in the mountains of San Diego County, was a Pioneer Ranch built in 1849. It served as a stop for the famous Southern Emigrant and Butterfield Stage Trails that brought immigrants as well as mail into California during the California Gold Rush. It was an important stop because year round travel was possible due to lack of snow unlike other northern routes. For a time, it was the only trading post between New Mexico and Los Angeles. The Ranch House became a National Historic Landmark in 1961.