Old Point Loma Lighthouse in San Diego is one of the original six lighthouses approved by Congress in 1850 after California was admitted to the union. Opening in 1855, the lighthouse was the highest in the country at 400 feet. Fog and cloud coverage made the lighthouse hard to see so was retired in 1891. The lighthouse also served as the home for the light keeper and family who would entertain visitors with its grandiose bluff-top views. Part of Cabrillo National Monument, the lighthouse can be visited in San Diego's National Park.